The gut is one of the most important aspects of our health, yet we don’t always treat it as well as we should. From high stress levels and lack of sleep to processed and high-sugar foods, our daily lives can take a serious toll on the digestive system.
In turn, this can impact other aspects of our health, such as the immune system, skin, weight, hormone levels, and more.
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to strengthen the gut and enhance overall wellness, you need to try this blueberry gut-health boosting gummy recipe ASAP.
What’s in the Gut and How Can We Take Care of It?
You may consider the gut as a pit stop for food as it works its way through the body. In reality, the gut is much more important than that. Our gut produces 75% of our body’s neurotransmitters, and over 80% of the immune system resides in it.
More than 100 trillion bacteria call our gut home. For perspective, that’s 10 times more bacteria than all the human cells in the body.
Plentiful and diverse bacteria in the gut promote healthy gastrointestinal function and keep us protected from infection and illness. To take care of these bacteria, we have several options:
- Taking a probiotic to replenish the good bacteria we lose daily
- Eating prebiotic foods, like beans and legumes, to help feed surviving bacteria
- Eating a varied diet and fermented foods
Make Your Own Health-Boosting Blueberry Gummies
These gut-healing blueberry gummies call for just three ingredients, all which help the gut in their own way.
For starters, gelatin is known to be a wonderfully healing food for an inflamed, damaged gut. Containing 18 essential amino acids, gelatin has the ability to soothe and restore the gut lining, and support digestion.
The addition of berries creates a delicious flavor that’s also low on fructose, making gummies easier to tolerate and less likely to irritate the digestive system. Plus, lemons are high in a fiber called pectin, which is a prebiotic that assists gut health.
- 2/3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 tbsp unflavored gelatin
What to Do:
- Place blueberries and lemon juice into a heavy sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the liquid is steaming and blueberries are plump, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and place mixture into a blender or food processer, blending until smooth.
- Remove the lid and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add 4 tablespoons of gelatin to the blender. Blend again until smooth.
- Pour mixture into candy molds or a shallow sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Once cooled, pop out of molds or cut into bite-size pieces. Keep refrigerated, eating 2 gummies per day for optimal gut healing.
When gut health is at risk, we open the door for a wide range of illness. For a healthier body, start by healing the gut with these easy 3-ingredient gummies.