Self-development happens in more ways than we can identify, and it can look different throughout life. No matter how deep you delve into it—there are always opportunities to improve. For this article, let’s focus on the mind, body, and soul.
Though they work as separate entities with their own respective do’s and don’ts; the mind, body, and soul are related. Together, they provide the substance and fiber of your life. Ready to get to work?
Program Your Mind
Your state of mind is the foundation of everything you do. Every single action must first be filtered through it. Ensuring that your mind is in an ideal state supporting your goals and where you’d like to develop is critical. Use these principles to work on the mind for self-development.
- Address stress: Be intentional with keeping stress at a minimum by being aware of your stressors and doing what you can to minimize them, as well as cope.
- Survey your mental health: Get to know where you stand with your mental health. Take time to understand your emotions and work through them the best you can. Enlist the assistance of a mental health professional if you feel you’re struggling.
- Put your brain to work: Do activities to keep your brain engaged. If you find you’re very logical, challenge your creativity, and vice versa.
- Super-charge your self-image: Build up your self-image by isolating potential opportunities to feel better about yourself, and defining what you like most about yourself. What can you do today to feel confident tomorrow?
Build Up Your Body
Your body is your mind’s vessel for seeing the goals that you have in mind through to their potential. Caring for your body, and expanding upon its existing (and already incredible) capabilities is always a GR8 idea.
- Focus on fitness: There’s nothing wrong with getting fit to lose weight, but getting fit for overall health can be a powerful force that drives consistency. Root your goals for fitness in health.
- Get natural: The ideal diet is still a subject that’s up for debate, but one thing is for sure – everyone can benefit from having more of a natural diet. Challenge yourself to incorporate more natural and whole foods into your diet.
- Master your diet and nutrition: Speaking of diet, come up with a plan that makes sense for your lifestyle. Don’t follow fads; instead, make your diet work for you and feed your body according to the energy you use and require.
Soothe Your Soul
The connective and invisible tissue that holds together the mind and body is the soul. The soul fills in the gaps of life where the mind and body only go so far.
- Get connected: Get in touch with your inner you, apart from mental health. Touch base with your soul and what drives your purpose. If you’re unsure of this, even better.
- Learn to affirm: Make affirmations a habit. Remind yourself and others around you of what matters most to you, and be firm in the intentions behind what you have to say.
- Breathe well, be well: Work on using your breath to benefit you in various aspects of life. Use it in times of stress, to fall asleep, and even working out.
Working on one’s mind, body, and soul is a solid framework for self-development. The details of the effort in between are up to you and your beautiful, unique life.